About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Sunday 20 February 2011

What to do when the rain pours

I'm suffering terribly from pregnancy brain, basically a temporary form of dementia due to baby draining all my resources! This means I make mental plans to do things with my plot, make sowings etc, then utterly forget the next day. That's why this post will be a rambling mental note of what I need to do and have done over the past week.Apologies that it isn't better formulated.

Have sown:

Golden Leaf beet
Red sprouts
Asters
Leeks
Red onions
Two varieties of broad bean, express eleonora and claudia (in pots)

Germinated and potted up:
Koralic tomatos (8)
Ceur de bleu tomatoes
Echinacea white swan

To plant out:
Broad beans
Garlic

Last Monday I visited the plot and covered the sown seeds of carrots with fleece as it was looking to turn colder, but having visited today I cannot see any that have germinated (it's been two and a half weeks) It may just be too cold and wet right now.

Strangely there was a large hole dug in the middle of my strawberry patch. I couldn't work out what could have done it, it looked as though a dog had been digging up a bone! A badger perhaps?

2 comments:

  1. Do you get foxes as they dig holes on our plot - maybe digging up worms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of foxes, I don't know if they visit, but it's definitely a possibility!

    ReplyDelete