About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Weeding, Digging and a shopping spree

Well yesterday I ordered the remainder of my seeds, along with two closhes, one clear plastic and the other fleece. I'm anticipating growing my early carrots and perhaps chard under these to get them off to a good start. I'm going to write a list/inventory of all the seeds bought this year, as I've got quite a lot!

I went to the allotment this morning as the sun was shining and the bird singing. Managed to weed and dig my roots bed and edge it with planks, so it's pretty much ready as and when. I did notice some small shoots or seeds that had germinated, which means the soil must be quite warm, despite the frosty nights.


I added some home made compost to my strawberries and planted a rogue bit of rhubard I found discarded by the hedge (it was shooting so I stuck it in!) Apart from that, just started digging my peas/beans bed and tidied up the paths, there is still quite a lot of couch grass around the edges. Managed to gain a couple of feet of growing space as a result!



Forgot to add, saw a couple of wireworms, many huge fat worms and a couple of centipedes! Last time I went I dug up a large green grub, no idea what that was though.

No comments:

Post a Comment