About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Saturday 26 February 2011

Precipitation stops play

Ok, to start you off, today was supposed to be fair and mild, but turned out fairly rainy, wind and coldish. So not to be put off, I decided to sort out my seed situation in the greenhouse, and rectify any indoors that had become leggy. Here is my list of what I did today.

1. Sowed:
Pea Waverex Petit Pois
Pea Jaguar F1
Celeriac Prinz
Kohl Rabi (giant and purple)
Tomato Sungold (only 16 seeds in packet!)
Leek Jolant
Onion Golden Bear F1

2. Potted up:
Sprout Red Bull
Golden Leaf beet
Leek Autumn Giant (only about 20 germinated as they were 4 year old seeds)
(not quite sure when to pot up red onions?)

3. Limed the compost heap
4. Finish pruning in the garden

Notes. Icelandic poppy have germinated, as have sweet peas. Need to sow more sweet peas and broad beans.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Josephine, In spite of the inclement weather you have certainly been busy with your gardening tasks. I have never grown a vegetable in my life [as surely garlic in a pot and mustard and cress on a windowsill do not count] and so am full of admiration for the very exotic collection which you will be growing.

    Thank you so much for your comment on my Alfriston posting to which I have made reply and, happily, through which I have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Edith, thanks for your reply. I'm a great fan of your writing already, having only recently discovered your blog, you have a very readable style.

    I think 99% of gardening is persperation and 1% inspiration! I'm no expert myself, I just love growing plants and watching the outcome, despite many pitfulls along the way, most of the time I find it really relaxing and rewarding. Jo

    ReplyDelete