About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Friday 11 February 2011

Honey Wine, is Mead the next big thing?

I've been hearing a few comments recently about the resurgence of mead as a tipple. I guess this comes off the back of cider and perry. I've never tasted mead myself, and am curious to, especially since it triggers a memory of seeing a large casket of mead in my friend's farm house as a child, I always wanted some of it!

For those of you who don't know, Mead is fermented honey and is reputed to be the most ancient alcoholic beverage, with sources being dated back to 7000BC! It was famously used to celebrate victorious soldiers in unruly feasts, even Edinburgh takes it's name from Mead, meaning Dyn Eidyn or Mead Hall.

If you are really adventurous you could try making some of your own

Or alternatively try one of these small producers:

http://www.cornishmead.co.uk/
http://lindisfarne-mead.co.uk/
http://www.vitiswines.co.uk/vitisshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=209

I'm sure it won't be long until you find some in Waitrose!

No comments:

Post a Comment