About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Sunday 27 February 2011

The best laid plans....

I thought I might share with you some of the plans I have made from my plot and how they have evolved during the past month. I have attempted to employ some crop rotation here, you will see my plot revolves around 4 basic beds, a,b,c and d. There areas that remain unchanged are the fruit beds, asparagus bed, strawberry/rhubarb bed and composting area. We are not allowed sheds or any buildings at all on our plots, so I have not incorporated an area for that purpose, although I do include an area specifically for the children. This year I will be making a bean tepee covered in creeping flowers and runner beans (I have to say I have no love for eating runner beans, they are just for coverage and donation!)

Original first draft plans for 2011, showing crop rotation. This sketch show what I grew last year and what should replace it.


 Basic Plan for 2011

Revised plan

 Redesign 27/02/2011

  As usual when I plan, I discover that I have been frivolous with my seed purchases and not stuck to my original idea, meaning I never have enough space. I get too excited! This year I will plant my brassicas like broccoli, sprouts, etc where the peas and beans are once the early varieties have finished. Goodness knows where the red cabbage will go!

No comments:

Post a Comment