About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Sunday 27 February 2011

Berry Meringue Pie (with added garden rhubarb)

As the afternoon turned colder today, I felt like baking something sweet. I turned to Nigella for inspiration, and checking against my cupboard ingredients this recipe for Redcurrant Meringue Pie seemed to fit the bill, although I replaced the ground hazelnuts with almonds and the berries for some local farm shop summer berries and the first of my garden (semi-forced) rhubarb. I have to say it was delicious with a dollop of cream on the side!


Berry/Rhubarb Meringue Pie
Serves 6

Dough
100g plain flour
25g ground hazlenuts/almonds
15g caster sugar
75g softened butter
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon iced water to bind
21cm flan dish

Filling
250g rhubarb/berries
30g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
3 tablespoons orange juice
2 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons cornflour

Meringue topping
3 large egg whites (previously separated)
160g caster sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar


1.Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. To make the dough, combine the dry ingredients in a food processor and briefly mix. Add the butter and egg yolk and blitz for a minute, then slowly add water to bind to a loose dough. Remove dough and wrap in cling film, chill for 20 mins. Roll out the pie dough, cover a 21 cm pie dish with it and chill again for 10 minutes. Blind bake chilled crust for approximately 10 minutes, until cooked but not browned. Give it some time to cool down before you add your filling.

2. Meanwhile, place your berries/rhubarb in a pan with some sugar, a little orange juice if you wish and a little water if necessary. Cook until slightly syrupy, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.Mix the egg yolks with 150 gr of the sugar, the melted butter and the corn flour. Add the egg yolk and flour mixture to the cooled fruit and stir in well, try not to break the berries down too much. Put the berry mixture into the baked crust and spread evenly. Cook the pie for 15 mins until the berry mixture is set.

3. While the pie is cooking, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, add half of the sugar and continue beating until you have a firm, shiny meringue. Add the rest of the sugar and the cream of tartar. Spread the meringue over the hot berry mixture, completely covering the fruit. Sprinkle a little sugar over the meringue and return the pie to the oven for about 10-15 minutes checking until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature, if you can wait that long!

5 comments:

  1. That's interesting as I tried a rhubarb meringue last year and the fruit was just too wet maybe nixing with something else is the answer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think rhubarb holds a lot of liquid, I often squeeze the juice out in a sieve if I'm using it for a fool or pie. Did you add cornflour and egg yolks too? that helps to set the mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I made it as I would lemon meringue with eggs and cornflour - the filling didn't look too wet until it was cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it happens like that doesn't it! I can never seem to make a baked cheesecake with pastry without getting a wet base!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I made it as I would lemon meringue with eggs and cornflour - the filling didn't look too wet until it was cooked.
    Furnace Replacement Calgary

    ReplyDelete