About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Thursday 10 February 2011

Feb Weather outlook

It's looking pretty dry but chilly over the next week or so, with hard night frosts and cold days. The following week seems to be remaining cold but more unsettled with wind and rain. Neither are particularly condusive to planting out, so I think I will hold off for now. In two minds over what to do with my broad beans now as the bed will have been covered for a couple of weeks soon, I think wait to the end of next week and see if it's really cold still.

To do:

Sow celeriac at end of Feb
Sow hardy/half hardy annuals
Sow red cabbage
Sow kolrabi
Sow tomatoes
Sow onions (yet to arrive)
Sow oregano, parsley and chives
Sow sweet peas
Sow broad beans outside?
Sow carrots inside in toilet rolls

Get more manure
Get hold of some old wood to edge up beds
Buy fleece
Buy general all purpose compost
Buy seed sowing compost (Westland JI no.1)

So plenty on the list even if I'm not even on the plot! Problem is I only have one small propergator inside and not much space for seed trays, so this will have to be staggered over the next few weeks.

Monthly weather outlook here from BBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment