About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Saturday 5 June 2010

Sultry day

Had a pretty lovely day today really. Spent the morning with the kids in the garden, they stripped off and splashed around in the paddling pool, whilst we mooched around drinking coffee enjoying the fact we could do so at 9am in the garden without shivering. After lunch we went to a couple of local pubs, which is something we rarely do, and should do more because I always really enjoy it! I was surprised how deserted they were, in fact I'm always a bit perplexed where people go in my area when the sun shines, down rabbit holes perhaps? I shouldn't complain as I'm usually trying to escape crowds.

Down to the fact I'd let Mike have a couple of pints while I drove, he suggested I go to the allotment after dinner. He never suggests this unless I've done something good! So I went and planted some of my home grown sweetcorn (in my squash and sweetcorn bed, as the Mexican's recommend), scattered wild flower and marigold seed around there too. I finished off the dwarf been row, and planted some asparagus peas at the end, not many, maybe four plants, just as an experiment to see what they are like. I have to say they were incredibly hard to germinate, so it will be interesting to see if they turn out to be good plants. Last of all I planted the first of my berlotti beans, I have some more coming up at the moment, but thought I'd get the first lot in to give them a head start. I must say I feel incredibly proud of the progress I've made in the last few weeks. About a month ago I was wondering if it was all worth it as the thistles threatened to take over! but now, I think yes when I look around I just know in a few weeks time it will all be taking off and looking fab.

 
Chard, onions, parsnips


Dwarf French beans (bought from Orchard farm shop)


Sweetcorn -Franchi collection, MAIS SWEETCORN ZUCCHERINO 


A slightly dusky pic of the plot as I left

I also earthed up potatoes, watered everything, especially the broad beans, still trying to revive them after the blackfly infestation. Progress in general is good, all but one asparagus crown is now growing; comfrey settling in; parsnips thickening up; peas and planted french beans coming up; wildflower seeds around shelter have germinated; squash and courgette getting established. Broccoli and cavalo nero have been eated probably by slugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment