About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Sunday 27 June 2010

..and the month of May flaps it's glad green leaves

"And the May month flaps its glad green leaves like wings,
Delicate-filmed as new-spun silk"


Thomas Hardy, Afterwards

Despite not being May, everywhere in the garden I see glad green leaves, with the sun shining through like tissue paper parasols, it really lifts the spirit. My peas are showing dark shadows in their pods, promising their sweet little explosions of summer. My broad beans are now hanging down under the weight of fat beans inside. Ruby red and fresh green lettuce leaves flutter exuberantly in the breeze, like petticoats. Then if you look closely you will see small flowers appearing, on potatoes, cucumber, courgette, tomatoes and more, teasingly promising their swelled future selves. I think July will be a month of enjoying the garden and it's spoils, interspersed with a lot of watering!






No comments:

Post a Comment