About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Monday 30 May 2011

Timing

Today was a good day on the plot. I weeded and watered and planted. The ground has had a little rain, but could do with a good deal more, especially after the windy weather last week. I have managed to tick off most of the jobs on my list to try and achieve before my baby arrives, the main aim being to get most crops off to the best start so they can cope with 2/3 weeks of neglect! I have to say having started off most of my seeds very early and nurtured them in the greenhouse, I have been lucky with the mild spring in planting a lot of things out earlier than normal. Some took a hit by the frost earlier in the month, the potatoes, beans and courgettes, but most have fought back hard and will survive albeit a bit later than normal. My potatoes are a good example, here is the plot today:


But earlier in the month they looked less healthy after the frost..


I'm always amazed each year by how much of the planning of planting schemes completely relies on the climate which of course is utterly uncontrollalbe. We can only guess that frost will end by the end of May, and we will have a wetish spring and some crops will not like to be planted out till the soil is warm enough. This year has debunked most of those theories, which has led me to plan more back ups than usual as conditions have been so unusual from an 'ordinary' British spring. Nevertheless most plants catch up or even themselves out according to the conditions and find a way to survive if they possible can!

Back to potatoes, because of the frost damage, my second earlies look like they will flower before the first earlies!

No comments:

Post a Comment