About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Asparagus harvest

At last my asparagus plants are stepping up their production, I picked about 5 spears today, enough for a portion for 1 person. Now I think only one of the plants is dead, all the others have at least produced 1 spear so far so I'm not so worried now. Just in time as my back up supply (a local farmer who sells bunches by the roadside for £1.20!) has stopped selling.

What to do with them? grill, steam, eat raw? I tend to throw all the spring veg in together in stages to stop them becoming overcooked. I do this as it's the way my dad would cook young vegetables until there was enough of each type to warrant serving individually.  The other day I had a chicken pie with Jersey royals, peas, my asparagus, my spinach - all tossed together in butter and mint. It was lovely!


1 comment:

  1. we love asparagus in risotto, with fresh peas and {frozen} broad beans with a sprinkling of pecorino {or parmesan} on the top to garnish:
    we cut the spears in two, to make them go further:
    proper summer fresh good:
    well, as fresh as the season allows:

    ReplyDelete