About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Saturday 30 April 2011

Mystery night showers

It's been a very busy week with the double bank holiday weekends. As a result I haven't spend a great deal of time on the allotment, but have just about managed to keep my head above water with regards to watering, weeding and planting. A lot of plants have made the move from my greenhouse to the allotment this week though, as we are imminently exchanging contracts on our house and may be moving within 3 weeks. This means everything has to go, and QUICKLY! Unfortunately it may result in some sacrifices through cold nights nipping some tender plants, but the sacrifice will not be as great as me having to tip a lot of perfectly good seedlings in the bin as we have to evacuate the greenhouse.

In general I am happy with progress on the plot as it seems we may have had some overnight short showers as the dry dustbowl is now gradually evolving into patches of green here and there, providing a bit of shelter and shade for new seedlings that are emerging.

Today I took down quite a few flowers, marigolds, minarette, larkspur, ox-eyed daisies, poppies to mention a few. I have planted most of them behind the salad area, between the new Glen Ample Raspberries as they are not really established yet.



It's getting very busy all over the plot now, so much so I don't think I could cover every aspect in each plot update, I may have to concentrate on one area at a time now.

Last week

This week

Salad bed last week


and this week...I have eaten all the radishes in the foreground! and sown more...


Courgettes


Onions and roots


Potatoes


View from the back


3 comments:

  1. wOw you have been busy!
    your onions are bigger than mine ^_*
    haven't had the chance to earth up my potatoes yet as I've hurt my back:
    thanks for reminding me to get some flowers on my patch:
    very important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always difficult to decide what to write about - I decided to try and concentrate on one subject at a time too - although will I stick to this?

    Hope your plants survive no overnight showers here - short or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate girl, the onions have come on apace since a decent watering, I will have to start pulling some as spring onions to thin them out soon! I'm an advocat of intercropping with all sorts of things, and mixing flowers in too, although it can get tricky if you don't label things religiously as it ends up being hooed :)

    Sue, I always find your posts really informative, I'm not sure I'll match your expertise! Hope you get some rain soon, I'm hoping nature will make amends and give us all a decent soaking soon.

    ReplyDelete