About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Friday 22 April 2011

A topsy turvy year

With Easter almost at May Day this year and the spring unseasonable early, I'm getting pretty confused as to what should be happening when. The weather is baking hot for April, about 26C today, which makes it feel like we have completely by-passed spring and hopped straight to summer! After much deliberation I have decided to plant out some tender varieties a little earlier this year, courgettes, sweetcorn and runner beans have gone in today, under closh though at night. Night temperature have averaged above 10C for the past week and look set to continue, so I wanted to capitalise on the warm spell to get them off to a good start. It doesn't matter if they fail, I have back ups growing!

Courgette Early Gem and Jemmer


 Sweetcorn Sundance


Runner beans


Plot overview at dusk



2 comments:

  1. I bravely planted out my borlotti beans the other day: my peas and sweetcorn looked too weeny to go out just yet so I've left them in the greenhouse for a little longer:
    good idea your orange shells ~ slug probs or cats?
    your plot looks great!
    soon be lushly green and ready to eat {nom}

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orange shells are for the slugs, they have entirely hollowed out the middle already! I also put coffee grounds down as slugs hate those.

    So many people on my plots are planting stuff out early,so I thought 'oh well, why not'! It's about a month too soon to put in sweetcorn and courgettes, so if we return to cooler weather they will probably sulk, but I can always transplant the back-ups in the greenhouse if it doesn't work. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete