About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Sunday 3 April 2011

A cup of tea to watch the sun go down

This weekend, I have been quite busy, so I've only made it down to the plot in the evening, at 7pm with just about an hour to do some quick jobs before the sun sets. It has meant I have caught some lovely sights and sounds in the process. The sheep in the field adjacent have lambed, so at dusk the mother's call in their little charges, and the lambs bleat in reply. Then an owl starts hooting, and the sky has been particularly beautiful with red pink hues, melting away. I love being outside at dusk, it reminds me of camping with the brownies and beach bbq's.

As for jobs done, I managed to get my second early potatoes in, the variety is Cosmos, which I haven't grown before. I also planted some more carrots, rainbow chard and corn salad. There is quite a lot in the soil now waiting to germinate, so I'm going to sit back for a week or so and see what happens. Not sure what the weather has in store for us, but if it's fine, there should be quite a lot germinating. Another job I've managed to do (or my husband, kindly) is to empty out the compost bins in anticipation of moving, I scavenged 6 bucket loads and took them to the plot which should do quite a bit of good all round, all those lovely microbes. Last but not least, I planted out my sweet peas which were almost 4 inches tall and flopping over, I have planted around a willow tepee from my garden which is one of the many items that will gradually migrate from my garden to the allotment in anticipation of our house move.

As for now I'm pretty whacked so am off to bed!

2 comments: