About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Monday 10 May 2010

Sap is rising


Hugh digging for victory


Looking over the allotment plot (this was taken on Election Day) everything has sprung to life. I love that unadulterated lush green growth that almost seems to be moving it's shooting up so fast!. Well apart from the fact most of the growth is from weeds not plants! When the plot was just dusty mud and some dead grass stems it seemed all the more manageable, now the true colours are showing, it's quite evident what was lurking beneath the crust. But I'm not defeated. Despite a slightly poisonous overheard comment from a neighbour of my plot (well I said to me husband 'I don't think I can cope with all this', and he replied 'well dear I will rotivate it for you' 'I'm so glad I did as otherwise mine would be all weedy too....' glancing around in my direction) , I will continue to tackle a small bit as I go, and plant something in place of the weeds. My next task will be to plant some beans, either french or berlotti, I haven't decided yet. I've also got some courgettes and squash growing nicely, so it would be great if I could clear and area for those to go in as they will hopefully romp around and suppress some weeds. I'm also planning to drop by my sister's stables to procure some manure (a poem?) for the squashes to wallow in.


2 comments:

  1. Tell your neighbour that you are encouraging biodiversity and going to turn your plot into a nature reserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, I like that! I'm sure she is the kind of person who would appreciate biodiversity on her doorstep!

    ReplyDelete