About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Tuesday 25 May 2010

More digging by moonlight

I'm starting to enjoy my late nights down on the plot, the sun drops over the trees, the earth turns pink in the late evening light and the moon rises above a low lying mist in the meadow....like a scene from Tess of the Durbyvilles. Tonight I prepared a new bed tacked on to the end of the roots bed, I was all set to add more carrots and snips, but when I opened my allotment bag, I noticed that Hugh had emptied all the seeds to the bottom in one mixed up mess! oh dear. I managed to salvage something, which looked like more chard I think, I'm not really sure, but I stuck it in anyway. I made up the rest of the area with cornflower seedlings and cavalo nero plants. At the back I stuck in a couple of globe artichokes, and in my squash area, there is now a new butternut squash plant. I found a great selection of veg at the Orchard Farm Shop on the A21( that's where I found the artichokes. All the seedlings look vibrant and healthy, and there are some unusual varieties too, I was quite tempted to pick up some black potato plants! I found a red gooseberry plant, a dessert variety, to replace my recently deceased one, I'm not sure whether to plant it in the same place as the old one, or find somewhere new?

Tonight on the plot I have:
Planted broccoli in place of the rotten potatoes
Planted Butternut squash, and two other squashes (mixed Italian varieties)
Planted Cavalo Nero
Planted Sunflowers
Planted Cornflowers and some mixed wild flowers

Sowed rocket

Weeded and watered

1 comment:

  1. We have a couple of globe artichokes that we inherited with the plot years ago - they are huge plants and have plenty of flowers - we have never actually eaten any but the bees love the open flowers.

    ReplyDelete