About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Sunday 23 May 2010

First casualties

Ok so I think I lost my gooseberry bush. I decided to dig it up and do some diagnostics. To be honest there wasn't much to see, apart from one wireworm, which I have been aware of on the plot, but wasn't sure whether it could do that much damage. I've removed the bush and stuck it in a pot at home and will see if I can revive it for next year.

Next problem, all my first earlies (pentlan javelin) have rotted, I thought they were taking a long time to come up, so check a few, then the rest, they were all rotten and smelly. Not sure why but have dug them out and now have a space there. I might grow spinach there as I don't think that will be affected by blight or any potato disease. So now I only have two very small rows of spuds. A bit upsetting actually as I was looking forward to fresh new pots soon! ...and some gooseberries for pudding :(

On a plus note, my asparagus has just started to push up, so next year I will be able to cut it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment