About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Wednesday 19 May 2010

Freyja's 1st birthday

Last Sunday we celebrated one lovely year of knowing our little girl. Thinking back over the last year, it's been a real roller coaster, such highs and lows, losing my dad and gaining a wonderful baby girl in our family. I'm sure this is the way things happen, just when you think everything in your life is tickedy boo, you loose something precious and the whole experience of life is altered, almost enhanced in a strange sense. I've certainly felt that since losing dad, I'm more acutely aware of appreciating everything I've got in the present rather than dwelling on the little irritations, or wanting something hypothetical.


So we celebrated Freyja's first year by having a little party, I don't think I realised quite how time consuming and costly even a small party could be, but I tried to 'keep it real!', although I'm quite guilty of getting carried away with nonsense decorations and party nibbles. The forecast for that afternoon was terrible, but by some miracle it failed to rain as promised (perhaps down to my fierce praying the night before) We had a bouncy castle, numerous outdoor toys and a few token party games like pass the parcel. I think we had just the right amount of toddlers, 4 boys and a couple of baby girls. The saving grace was the awning, which I sent Mike out for in the morning after a minor panic over the looming rain, it added a real focus to the garden almost like an assembly point. Anyway, all in all it was a huge success and everyone loved it, and the garden looked wonderful. I felt truly happy!





No comments:

Post a Comment