About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Friday 21 May 2010

Picking up the pace

Went back to the plot last night as I want to get as much in as possible as everything is growing now at a rate of knots. Felt still slightly depressed by the amount of thistle plants rearing their heads everywhere, even in areas where I have double dug into the sublayer (and am still suffering with back pain as a consequence). Those roots must go down a mile. I've decided to just try and pull up as many as I can as I go along, giving the veggies a fighting chance against their enemy. Manage to pick up the last of the free horse manure from Sami's so took it down last night and made a new bed for my Duchy Organic french beans, which I've had in pots in the greenhouse. I also made a couple of pits, filled them with muck and planted some courgettes too.

Ok here is a little inventory to date what I've planted in my Brewer street beds!

Onions
Garlic
Carrots (nantes)
Parsnips
Asparagus
Broad Beans
Peas
French Beans
Potatoes (early salad, and maincrop)
Lettuce
Swiss Chard
Comfrey

...and at home...
Strawberries
Broad Beans
Peas
Lettuces
Cavalo nero
Sweet peas
Radish
Carrots
Potatoes

..to plant..
Beetroot
Tomatoes
Berlotti bean
Asparagus peas
Flower mixes
Courgettes

...to sow...
more french beans
sweet peas

I'm not growing any winter crops now in case we move over the summer, seems like a waste of time unless we are going to enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment