About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Saturday 22 May 2010

Fashion fix

 know my blog is mainly about the garden, allotment and my family but there are just so many more aspects to me than I really express here. Since having children, most of my creativity has been chanelled into gardening, home keeping, cooking and crafts. Yet it has to be said sometimes I yearn to be cool again! I once (not so long ago) was a designer in London, wearing the height of fashion, frequenting cool bars and clubs and generally swanning around thinking I was the bees knees. Now that might sound very pretentious and it was, but hell did I enjoy it and it doesn't mean I don't miss it a little. Having spent a good 15 years living in various cities, travelling and working left me for a deep yearning to return to the country and be a bit of a bumpkin, but I'm not acting it out, it truly is an integral part of my being. Enough of the philosophising, the main point of this post is my deep depression of the state of my wardrobe, which was once my pride and joy. These days I have even taken to borrowing some of my mums cardis in the winter as this house gets so cold sometimes, which could be chic in a kind of vintage knits way, but to be honest, it's looking more like frumpy 30's mum really. I'm in a quandry as I have no real connection to what's cool anymore, even though I trawl the internet for inspiration, there's so much choice, I don't have an instant idea of what to wear like I used to. When I lived in Bristol and London, most of my fashion finds came by seeing what other people were wearing on the street, and this isn't an option anymore.

This is the best I can come up with for my summer wardrobe, and I'm bookmarking it here to refer back to.
I think to suit my style best and bodyshape (good legs, terrible waist) For hot days I'll wear mid thigh denim shorts, white, khaki and dark navy with smocks and blousons over the top, with gladiator sandals. For weddings, I'll go for a mid range maxi dress from Monsoon, with some kitten heels (I have a Sept wedding only this year) and I quite fancy the idea of a couple of summer/tea dresses, one midthigh to wear with leggings and a belt, and a longer more fitted fifties style number for weekend events/trips. To top it all off I'd love a suede bomber jacket.







Well actually that wasn't so bad, big sigh. All I need now is a cash windfall and I might look like this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment