About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Sunday 27 March 2011

Water conservation

Last year my plot suffered terribly with the spring drought and our poor water supply to the allotments really aggrivated the situation.This year I was determinded to resolve the issue somehow, but it's tricky as we are not allowed to erect sheds or any type of building that I could collect water from. So I've finally forked out for a humble water but from a large but cheap DIY chain. I searched high and low (well not very hard, but that's due to having two toddlers) for something to store water in, but all solutions were either too big, too heavy or cumbersome to get onto the plot by myself. I just have to fill the butt now, which may take some time, as it's a five minute walk to the other plot's standpipes.

Last year there was a dispute between the farmer who owns the land my plot came from, and the plot holders who were using his cattle trough as a water tap (as it refilled) He called in to have the supply cut off, but after lots of local parish political wranglings it turns out that his water supply was actually owned by the council and was connected to the standpipe in the other allotments. In some ways this is good, because it means the council have agreed to erect a standpipe there for our plots, which would be amazing as I could then only have to walk about 1 minute as opposed to across the road and up the hill to fill my watering can. I only wonder how long it will take for them to do the work to reinstate this water supply and whether we will get any benefit from it this year? In the meantime it looks like I will be mostly walking back and forth all day Tuesday to fill my butt!

Read about the water dispute here as it made the local rag!

No comments:

Post a Comment