About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Thursday 3 March 2011

Hard work done

Last Tuesday I finished the winter digging on the allotment. I know I should leave the clay alone, but I don't think I have time to allow the manure to rot in properly so I've turned it one last time, added more compost, about 4 bags! and it appears to be much better. Hoping the sun and cold wind will dry it out and I can finally get my broad beans in. This is very late I know, but with clay you have to factor in a bit of extra time for the ground to warm. I have covered the potato bed after digging in the manure and blood/fish/bone so that should be ready in a couple of weeks for planting out first earlies if the weather has been fine enough. I have a clear plastic tunnel and one fleece tunnel so I can move them around to get things started off. I have planted most of my chosen seedlings in my unheated greenhouse as a back up should the allotment ones fail. So I'm pretty prepared now and ready to get going on planting!

2 comments:

  1. If you're late with broad beans I don't know what we are - none planted yet never sow any seeds 'til the end of March and we manage a good harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right as you have much more experience than me and seem to produce some fantastic veg! I just read on the packets and in books that they should go in the ground in Feb for a Junish harvest. I'm just very impatient and it's my downfall!

    ReplyDelete