About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Tuesday 29 March 2011

The perkyness of spring

I'm definitely feeling better and was fortunate to get out in some spring sunshine and plant up some of my home grown veg on the plot. The weather forecast rain in the afternoon, but it never came, just more spring sunshine. We could actually do with a few showers now to get the seeds going, as my roots bed is looking decidedly bare right now, and I'm reluctant to sow anything else there until it either rains or the parish council install the water tap that has been promised.

Progress today as follows...

Broad Beans

As you can see they have been growing well in the greenhouse, and it was time for them to spread their roots in the soil outside.


Peas

I was not sure if it was a good idea to plant them out, but the roots were growing out of the bottom of the pots, so I've planted them among twiggy sticks and netted over to protect from pigeons. I thought if it's ok to plant them in the ground now as seed, it must be ok for them to go in as plants too. I think it's pretty sheltered there so the frost hopefully won't hurt.

 I have grown two varieties, Waverex Petit Pois and F1 Jaguar.

Wild Flower patch

I sowed a random selection of flowers between the raspberries, as a little wild flower meadow, they include Larkspur, Cantebury Bells, Marigolds, Mignonette, Cornflower and Morning Glory. Probably not very authentic, but I have some Ox-Eye Daisy in the greenhouse I can slot in to make it look more like a meadow!

Radishes and salad leaves have germinated


Overall everything is looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment