About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Saturday 5 March 2011

An afternoon in the greenhouse

I deemed it was time to pot on a selection of seedlings that were languishing legily on my kitchen windowsil, including the kohl rabi, red onions and sungold tomatoes. I buried them all deep to help them toughen up a bit.


While I was in the greenhouse, I couldn't resist planting some more seeds, so I sowed sweetcorn and Florence fennel. I can't remember the sweetcorn variety as it was an old rediscovered packet from years ago, so who knows whether they will germinate, but they were a fantastic colour!


My sutton broad beans are up, as are the Eleonora Express, I will let them get a bit more established this year before planting out as they stalled once I planted and then were swamped by black fly! I love the look of the broad beans leaves as they emerge, they look like hooves.


The shelving is pretty stacked already in the greenhouse, so I may have to sort out the storage on the other side of my staging as I pot plants on...as I want to raise as many of my own plants as possible this year. Last year I ended up buying in quite a lot of ready grown plants to make up the shortfall. For example my harvest of own grown peas and beans was only enough for about a weeks worth of meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment