About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Wednesday 14 April 2010

Planting

A cursory glance around the greenhouse revealed a lot of stuff has now gone in the ground, and I go really be doing with planting up my next round of goodies. So today I planted courgette, marigolds and wild flower mix, which I'll follow up with a second sowing of sweet peas, more peas, yellow beans and berlotti beans. I'm slightly concerned about the state of the soil at the allotment, still really heavy underneath a solid dry clay crust *sigh* not sure how I'll ever get that in a fit state for carrots!!

3 comments:

  1. We have heavy clay soil but grow carrots. We sow them in trenches on compost first.

    When we first got our plot x decades ago we were told - You'll never grow carrots here! But we did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to know! I like the compost in trenches idea, I hadn't thought of that, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are interested we use the same routine as for our parsnips described here
    http://www.glallotments.btik.com/gallery/1341181492.ikml

    If the soil is really poor go for the short rooted varieties

    ReplyDelete