About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Tuesday 13 April 2010

Asparagus, new veggie bed and house ready

Today my asparagus crown arrived from asparagus in Kent. I panicked slightly as my bed wasn't entirely ready for it's arrival having spent so much time concentrating on the house. I managed to get down to the plot tonight and pop them in, well pop them in wasn't the half of it, it meant a speedy going over of the still heavy clay soil (despite multiple double digs and additions of dung). There were some thorough instruction provided with the crowns, that involved digging trenches within trenches and small mounds to delicately perch the spidery creatures on, crikey and I was doing all this against the clock to get back home and finish my online shopping spot before it expires and end up with the most expensive loaf of bread in England, £6 with delivery charge!

On Sunday, I spent an afternoon in the garden at home trying to tidy up some scraggy areas, like the bit by the bins that has always been my overflow veggie patch. I edged it with some willow hurdles and log roll, created a path around the edge, then put a couple of big pots on the side. Now it looks very cottage gardeny. I got quite excited and decided to plant a load of veg in there as it was set to go in my greenhouse. Now I have a micro garden that includes broad beans, peas, salad potatoes, strawberries, basil, cucumber, onions and carrots - quite impressive I think



No comments:

Post a Comment