About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Tuesday 6 April 2010

GE 2010

So a General Election is just weeks away, and was called today. It's what I've been waiting for and will anticipate the campaigns with relish. Unlike my peers, I love election fever ever since my dad took me for the first time to vote at the village hall, it marked a real right of passage for me. My family have always been quite passionate about politics and debate frantically at every family gathering, in addition to this my hubby works in the Home Office so I cannot avoid it really!

I'm still undecided who I will vote for. I'm a classic waivering mum, middle class and 35, so probably in one of the main swing voter categories, although our constituency is such a tory stronghold, it makes it hard to think anyone could dent their majority. I can only say I'm pretty sure I won't be voting Conservative unless they really convince me otherwise in the next 4 weeks. I've always made a bit of a promise to myself never to vote Tory when studying History of politics, at the age of 17, and have since never felt inclined to do so, probably until now. I have liked some of the sounds they've been making, but like many, I'm unconvinced by Cameron's integrity and experience as credentials for running the country. It's quite important though who will be in govt for the next ten years to sure up the economy, and in this time my mum will become elderly, my children will start school and I will set up my own business, so all these issues will be relevant to me. I've always thought though to think beyond my personal circumstances and vote for the good of the country and our future. If we were all selfish all of the time, what would be the point of a civilised democracy?

No comments:

Post a Comment