About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Tuesday 15 December 2009

Happy times

When I think back to the summer, everything seemed so gloriously uncomplicated and happy. I had my lovely two children, a boy and a girl; I'd settled back near home so I could see lots of my family after being away for so many years; what could possibly go wrong. Mum was fretful all the time, she kept saying 'everything is going to well, I'm worried something will happen to one of you'. Well she was right huh, and it did, dad died, right out of the blue. For a while after he died I was terrified that everyone around me was suddenly going to die, for no apparent reason. My reasoning was if it could happen to him, why not one of us? He was fit and healthy one day, gone the next, it certainly is a scary prospect. Now I have things more in perspective. The odds were probably stacked against him really, his dad died young, his brother died last year only in his early 70's, but for some reason I thought he would be more like his mum and go on a long time. Shows what we know, we can speculate all we like, but as the old saying goes 'you could get run over by a bus tomorrow' and it's true. So make sure you do everything you want.

I found this picture the other day while going through old records. This was such a happy time for us as a family. Mike and I had just returned from our holiday in France, the weather was fab so we went to watch my nephews play cricket in Buxted, where my dad used to play when we were young. We were all together and it felt like life had gone full circle.


No comments:

Post a Comment