About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Sunday 18 September 2011

My Brassicas

Ok I had a go at growing these this year, as I've not really tried before. I think I know why now, they need a lot of attention to get going, lots of netting and protection from slugs and pigeons. I'm not the most diligent gardener at the best of times, obviously this year more so due to having a baby, but I feel sorry for my slightly pathetic attempt! My red drumhead cabbages are riddled with holes, from slugs or caterpillars I know not, but I'm hoping they may recover a bit in the colder weather. This one is the best one on the plot and actually has a recognisable head to it.



The red bulls blood sprouts look great on one side of the plot but very poor on the opposite bed, strange as the latter had more attention earlier on.



Actually I have one success, the white sprouting broccoli is growing great guns, strange to think such a monster came from such a small seed.


I think next time I'll be staking these to make sure they don't get blown down by any storms

No comments:

Post a Comment