About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Thursday 1 September 2011

Flexing my green fingers

I've had a very productive gardening day, making the most of this lovely late summer sun we're having. This morning I visited the garden center looking for bargains in the sales. I was particularly looking for trees to put in my new garden (of the house we haven't bought yet!!) A few were knocked down to half price, mainly ornamental trees rather than the fruit variety but I was seduced by an Egremont Russet apple tree which I ended up paying full whack for, as I had to have it. While I was there I picked up some cauliflower and winter lettuce plug plants to put in immediately. So I popped to the plot to do just that, and I was particularly keen to get the rest of my leek seedlings in too. In between Charlie's squeeks I manged to plant 12 cauliflowers, 12 lettuces and about 20 leeks. Then I moved on to tidy up my tomatoes, the Marmandes have done so much better here than at home, I'm guessing because they are planted in the ground rather in pots. If I could only keep the slugs off them though, they obviously want a sneek preview! I pulled the last of the onions to dry out before storing and eating. I then picked a punnet of raspberries before heading home.

Later in the afternoon, I pottered about at home potting up my Echinacea White Swan plants that were severely pot bound, and some Minette basil and oregano too. The onions were layed out on the wooden bench to dry while I picked some figs from mum's tree.

A very lovely green fingered day.

3 comments:

  1. I bet your plants were better than the ones we had mail order.

    You can't suffer from blight in your parts as planting outdoor tomatoes at the plot is a big no, no - although I guess we could have got away with it this year as it has been so dry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have been busy! I got some sprouting broccoli plugs cheapcheap but they're too wee to put in yet: {nurture}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been lucky on our site as we haven't had any blight yet, but we were the first to garden there, before it was just an open field.

    My caulis were quite small but I don't have a cold frame at the moment, so I stuck a closh on them, to keep the cabbage whites off too.

    ReplyDelete