About me



I'm a half Finnish designer who has since taken a break to bring up my children. I used to work in Graphic Design, but now I prefer working with textiles and illustration. This blog is about my allotment and garden. I have been gardening for many years and grew up watching my mum and dad do the same. I began my allotment in Jan 2010 in memory of my father who passed a way just before then. I also love cooking and finding inventive and delicious ways to make my produce into meals. I'm growing with my experiences, and welcome any helpful advice! Sometime soon I hope to use my garden as inspiration for my art.

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Mud Glorius mud

Hopefully anyone reading this isn't becoming too bored of digging anecdotes and pictures of mud. Unfortunately I could stare at these pics for hours!!

Today I went to the plot but didn't achieve as much as hoped as I think I'm coming down with something and didn't want to overdo the digging. I dug an area which had been covered all last year, it was quite crumbly but still had a lot of thistle roots and couch grass. I spread home made compost and blood, fish and bone over the top and covered up. I'm anticipating this bed to be for my first broad beans which I'll plant in about a weeks time, then perhaps two or three more rows in succession every couple of weeks. I have two varieties which I'll mention in my seed inventory which I'm due to list soon. 


Other than that, I planted a gooseberry bush that I've kept in a pot in the garden as it was  a little late to plant last year (variety is Whinham) I couldn't resist a picture of the blackcurrant bush which is full of buds


After a bit more digging on my roots bed, I couldn't resist putting in some onion sets, it's very early, but they were shooting in the bag, and it's no great loss to me if they don't take. I netted them well as there are a lot of pigeons about, and even the odd hungry pheasant!


A overall view of the plot


No comments:

Post a Comment